Sunday, June 22, 2014

Reflections on Lent 2014

My church follows the Liturgical calendar.  Since March 5th, we have been walking through the season of Lent.  I had always thought that Lent, from the outside looking in, was a time to give up something you loved as a way to get a little taste of Jesus's total surrender experience.  And it just so happened that it was right before bathing suit season so most friends I knew gave up chocolate.  This Lent was the first time I committed to practice it.  Even though I have given up certain things, what this season has mostly shown me is that my misled desires and compulsions distract me from life with Jesus.   I just plain and simple still want my way a lot of the time, and I just want it now. When I want to be fed...I want it NOW.  When I want something sweet...I want chocolate NOW.  When I want me teeth straight...I want it NOW (yes - still rocking the adult braces).   I have continued to realize and experience that I can't physically strip myself from these unruly, demanding desires, and it seems like the harder I try the more they follow me.   I have seen how the darkness still surrounds me even when I try to fight it most.  I set up goals for myself, but I still come short of meeting them.  Pastor Chris challenged my church at the beginning of Lent to not let this Easter Sunday be like any old Easter Sunday...but as I come to the end of Lent, I wonder what has changed inside of me.  

Our church has walked through Exodus during this season, I have seen myself so much in the Israelites.  In their spontaneous grumbling right after the Lord had just shown up with provision and deliverance (Exodus 16:1-3).  In the fear, fatigue and disappointment that drove the them to golden calf making (Ex 32:1-24).  Ashley, one of our pastors, said the church set up Lent around 300 AD to remind them that they are people of the resurrection.  But do I live like the resurrection happened or not?  Do I live with God?  I am beginning to see that the doubt and unruly desires that bombard me are not the even the problems that keep me from living life with God, but they can highlight for me what is the problem.   So often, I run to the temporary fixes that never fill me up.  Desire is really a powerful force that can be used to facilitate "agape love that can integrate for us a whole and eternal life with God and man" (Renovation of the Heart p. 68).  However, my partial and distorted appetites focused on getting my way lead me to darkness and unbelief.  And so often doubt starts this process of distorted appetites in my life.  Eve experienced this in the garden when she began to doubt and question what God's instructions were about the trees she could and could not eat from.  The serpent came to her with the question, "Did God really say 'You must not eat from any tree in the garden?'" (Genesis 3:1).  Immediately, Eve gave the response of what God had told her, but the root of doubt had been planted so that when she saw "that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it" (Genesis 3:6).  My questions that begin the seedlings of doubt in me aren't about fruit in the garden but start off more like: "Did He really say He wouldn't leave me? Did He really say He would guide me?  Did He really say He will give me the desires of my heart if I delight in Him?  Did he really say it is better to lose your life than to save it because I really think I should get my way?  Did He really say  He will be the factor that makes you distinguishable/approved, among the crowds because I really think I know best how to make myself distinguishable?  Did He really say "It is finished"...am I really covered?

During our Good Friday service last night for a few moments they extinguished all the lights so we could experience darkness.  In that quiet, still moment, the darkness was penetrating.  I sat there accepting it, knowing that so often I sell my "birthright as a creature in God's image -- a birthright of genuine goodness, sufficiency, and power for which we are fitted by nature -- for a mere bowl of soup (Genesis 25:30-31): perhaps a little illicit sex, money, reputation, power, self-righteousness and so forth -- 'the pleasures of sin for a season' -- for the mere promise of possibility of such. "(Renovation of the Heart p 68).  I think that if the darkness can show us how far we are from the True Light maybe there is something holy and divine about darkness.   During the death of Jesus "From the sixth hour until the ninth hour darkness came over all the land. (Matthew 27:45).  Right before the  power to raise someone from the death was brought to this earth, darkness covered it.  This gives me hope.  Because this season has seemed pretty dark for me because my junk seems to be the same.
An excerpt from Lent: A Symphony in Three Parts said Lent " is a time to think seriously about who Jesus is for us."  And Jesus the crucified is for me Someone that opened Himself up to receive me to cover me.  And that is enough for me. May I live like it is enough and may I keep coming to the empty tomb saying, "I believe."

No comments: