Saturday, January 07, 2006

The Seed

I got the opportunity to volunteer at Passion '06 from January 1st to the 5th. It was a great way to start the new year not only because it involved serving but also because some close friends got to share the experience with me. Passion is all about a generation coming together for the glory of God's name. What I love about the heart behind Passion is that it's not about a particular denomination, speaker or band...but it's about real people seeking and responding to the greatness of God. A quote from the David Crowder Band describe their experience this way, "when our depravity meets His divinity it is a beautiful collision."

This picture is from the art gallery that was in the GoCenter...where we served all week. It always struck me as I passed by, but I didn't notice the words until I took the picture. I thought it was pretty cool- and wanted to share it with you for your viewing pleasure. My favorite hidden line in the picture says "spreading your love to those hopelessly separate from God."

Anyways...to the part about the seed. The one talk that I got to listen to completely was Beth Moore's. She was doing a bit on Galatians 6:7-9. She was centering in on the promise in Galatians 6:9 which says, "And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. " She used an amazing analogy which has been such a blessing to me. She and her husband were helping with some relief work in Africa, particularly distributing food to those in need. While she was there she was talking with one of the full-time workers in Africa, she learned about a problem that was going on with the people. They were so hungry that once they were given seed to plant, they ate the seed and did not take it back to plant it to enjoy the full benefit of the seed. This action struck her as similar to what we do as Christians...instead of planting the "seed" of the Word into the reality of our lives, we taste it and agree that it was good and then a month later we wonder why we're not full and where are harvest is. I think this idea is partially what keeps me from getting excited about conferences like Passion. Let me explain...in the past I have gone to events like this before where I'm moved by the Word but I come back to real life having tasted the seed- but life gets in the way and I lose track and before I know it I'm back to my comfortable sin pattern again. But thankfully God's Word is here to make us victors not scholar!! Beth encouraged us by saying that in order to reap a harvest we must get the Word into our experiences..."therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word inplanted, which ia able to save your soul . But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves. " Jame 1:21-22- Beth says it better than I do- so chech out www.268generation.org and look under Louie's latest messages. It will be under Beth Moore Main Session 3.
So may we live as authentic victors in this new year!

No comments: