Sunday, December 08, 2013

I am going to Haiti in February!


I am excited to tell you about the my upcoming mission trip to Haiti.  I will be going to Haiti February 15th-22nd, 2014 with eleven other people from Trinity Anglican Mission Church.  Since I left Papua New Guinea in September of 2012, I have been looking for my next opportunity to serve in medical missions.  This trip will be geared towards supporting the work of Pere Val and Carmel Valdema.  Carmel directs a health clinic just outside the capital city, Port-au-Prince, that provides free care to about 1,500 people each month.  Our team will be be engaging in medical work at the clinic and minor construction projects that will support the churches and schools under Pere Val’s care.  



As I mentioned earlier, I am going with a team from Trinity Anglican Mission Church.  Our team from Trinity has been meeting monthly since October to prepare for our time together in Haiti.  Like most mission trips, flexibility will be needed.  Our team of twelve has a wide range of medical training.  Several nurses are on the team as well as a psychiatrist and a medical doctor.  There are also a couple of people going with remodeling skills for the minor construction projects we will be doing.   I am the only athletic trainer, and I am excited to teach therapeutic exercises or carry bricks if that is needed, too.  


I would love to have your prayer support for this trip. My personal prayer is that God would provide connection with the people I meet in Haiti whatever role I may be called to play.  A week is a short time to bring health and healing to the long-term needs in this area; therefore, I am so thankful that we will be joining in the long established work of  Carmel and Pete Val that have been serving this area for 25 years.


Also, I am raising financial support for the trip. If you would like to contribute financially to the trip, our team has a paypal link available. This is the paypal link. The first screen is where you will enter the amount, credit card and personal information. On the next screen (the confirmation screen), there is a title called "gift designation" with a plus sing next to it. If you click on the plus sign, it will provide a box where you can indicate that you want the gift to go towards me. 

Here is a picture of me at Lazarus Ministry's Health Day in downtown Atlanta back in September.  Not too may people were interested in learning some yoga moves, but these two were great.  They were naturals with the front lunge! 



I plan to be posting more regularly as the trip approaches.  Thanks for reading and may we continue to "ponder anew what the Almighty can do."
 



No comments: