Friday, January 11, 2013

2012 in Review

It's the eve of my 31st birthday, and I just can't help looking back over all the blessings I have been showered with over this past year.  I must recap.

January 2012:  I turned 30!

I loved the twenties.  Since my twenties included a lot of stories about trying new things - they also included a lot of stories about starting over.  So far the trend of starting over has held true for my thirties as well.

My end of a decade celebration started at one of my favorite Madison restaurants with some of my favorite Madison people.  By far the best burger lives at the Old Fashion.






Then I left my twenties behind and flew to Nashville to celebrate with some of my dearest friends.  We gathered together for the hottest Nashville wedding of the year.  It was so great to see Marisa as a bride.  We got to roast her with a little farewell to John Mayer and hello to Jeff Pardo toast at her rehearsal dinner.





February of 2012:  Back to school.

February is cold in Wisconsin.  This year I kept warm by firing up my brain back in the classroom.  Always in search of a challenge, I figured jumping back into the classroom would do for now.  During February, Emily and I had many study dates.

March of 2012:  I got to meet my favorite author.  

Shauna Niequist has been my favorite authors since my friend Bronwen gave me her first book Cold Tangerines.  When I read her books, I feel like she is my best friend and that she gets me and my ups and downs and can put them to words way better than I can.  When I heard she was coming to Madison to speak at a conference our church was putting on, I decided to do whatever it took to meet her.  Needless to say, I had a little built up expectation about this first meeting.  Right when I saw Shauna, I went right up and introduced myself...even though she was talking to someone.  She was gracious and funny, just like I had imagined.  Well, we didn't exchange numbers, and she didn't see me and want to set me up with her brother (yes, this thought had actually crossed my mind).  But during her talk she spoke some words that might have helped change the course of my year.  She challenged each member of the audience to take charge of their own inspiration.  I had never heard "The Man in the Arena Poem" until she read it that day.  After hearing her talk, I began to ask myself and the Lord some different questions.

April of 2012:  What Would You Do if You Had No Fear?

After Shauna's talk, my head was spinning.  Another book came along called, "What Would You Do if You Had No Fear?" and from there I was looking for a chance to explore.  In April, I was accepted to volunteer on the  YWAM Medical Ship and the planning of my trip began.

May of 2012: Pacific Coast Highway.

My cousin was getting married in Southern California and my friend Cheryl lived in San Fransico, thankfully there is a road that connects these two places.  The week before the wedding, I got to meet Cheryl and see her life in San Fran.  When she went to work, I rented a bike and biked across the Golden Gate Bridge and other parts of the city.



Then I met Caro and we started our trek down to Laguna Beach.  Of course, we made several stops along the way.  Stopping at the breathtaking views of Big Sur was my favorite spot.


 We made it to Laguna, and Kt said, "I do."


One of my favorite moments from this wedding was catching Granny's face on camera after the Best Man's toast.  If you would have been there, you would understand why she had such a big smile on her face.



June of 2012:  My time at UW came to an end.

June 29th was my last day as a UW employee.  It was such a privilege to spend 5 years with such great people.  Since it was such a great "first job" for me, it was very hard to move on from this place.



July of 2012: A garden in paradise

I left the US on July 4th and my first stop was in Northern Queensland at the Kanjini Co-op.  See my blog post from July for a full review of this week working on a farm in Australia.




August of 2012:  "I want to live"

Hands down, my favorite moments of the year occurred on the YWAM Medical Ship.  If you look at any of my "signpost" blog posts or any posts from August or September, you can get the whole story.  A friend in Madison summed up the trip as  "doing reverse piracy."  Yep, in the most naturally beautiful place I have ever seen.  Serving for the most beautiful people I have ever met.


September of 2012:  Do I really have to come home?

Ten weeks was really not long enough.  I begrudgingly got on the plane home on September 17th.  And I do admit, it has been good.  In a different kind of good way.  If my 10-week adventure was the mountain top, the time back has been the valley.  But I truly want to believe that the valley experience is where you grow.  The valley is where convictions form that will last.  The valley is where you have to fight to believe the Truths that were revealed to you on the mountain.  Thankfully, God has provided an amazing family that has supported me since I have returned.

October of 2012:  You can take the girl out of the South...

This month I did a tour of the Southeast.  I got to soak in some quality time with family and friends and share as much and as often as possible about my time in PNG.   Around this time I decided to set up my home-base back in the South.  As the author of this Southern Living article wrote:

"Moving back South is something Southerners do."

 I am not sure how long this stint in the South will last as every other thought jumps to what is next.  But for not, it is right where I am supposed to be.

November of 2012:  Reunited

I just love Madison.  The vibe, the flavors and most certainly the PEOPLE.  It was a blessing to go to this second home for 3 weeks at the end of October and November.  Thankfully, God provided a job in Atlanta, otherwise - I still might be living in Kate's basement.  I can't wait for my next visit.


December of 2012:  

It has been a highlight of my December to be back in the athletic training room.  This current job has been just the challenge that I needed right now, but it can't beat getting hugs from the two coolest kids I know, my niece and nephew.  



I really can't believe all this has happened in one year.  I am so thankful that following Jesus day by day is an adventure.  May there be more moments of living in this expectancy next year and less moments of living in fear, doubt and unbelief.  May He lead each of us to "ponder anew what the Almighty can do" as we all get started with 2013.

No comments: