Monday, October 01, 2012

Signposts

On Thursday, I put our yard sale sign in our front yard.  It was definitely a homemade sign.  One side I used neon green poster paper and on the other side white.  Since I posted each poster paper on each side of our "Keep Christ in Christmas" front yard sign, some red also poked through on the corners.  Our markers kept running out of ink - some of them probably dated back to the 90s -  so I had to use multiple colors. Yep, it was a pretty ghetto sign.  But it got the job done.  It caused enough attention to distract people from their daily commute to announce to them about the yard sale.  Even though we had an advertisement in the Dawson News, the sign was a reminder.

Signposts make people remember something important. In Gift of the Sea, Anne Morrow Lindbergh recorded her "signposts toward another way of living."  Her personal beach retreat gave her time to "become more aware of" a sense of values that she wanted to incorporate into her life when she returned to her hometown in Connecticut.  I have already noticed how easy it is to slip back into your same old busy routine.  After a summer like mine, that's the last thing I want to do.  So I thought it might be helpful for me to post some signposts of my own.

Signpost #1:  The simple life requires space.  One of my favorite parts of serving on the YWAM Medical Ship was the quiet time on the ship.  Living on a ship with 50 other people can be somewhat cramped.  While I loved meeting people from all over the world and hearing there stories, my introverted side desired time away from everyone as well.  The best time to find a nook or crannie away from everyone was typically in the morning.  This space in the morning to be alone with God as the sun came up over the natural PNG scenery was unbeatable.  No, I never heard an audible voice from God during that time.  Yes, my mind often had to be reined back to the real world and away from my daydreaming.  But as I look back over my time on the ship, I know I will always cherish those still beginnings to the day.


No comments: