Thursday, July 19, 2012

Magnetic Island

Today I took a break away from base life and ventured over on the ferry to Magnetic Island. It was a fantastic getaway. Everyone at the base has been great but not knowing anyone can be draining, so the introverted part of me was ready to break away from the pack for a bit. Especially due to the fact that I won't be able to break away from the pack in PNG. The buddy system will definitely be enforced there. Magnetic Island, Maggie Island, is 8 K from Townsville so this makes for a quick ferry ride. The great thing about Maggie Island is that there are all these tucked away bays and a ton of walking trails. So all I needed was my map, hiking shoes and a book. I plopped down on a rock every now and then to read some. It was definitely one of those no schedule days. One of the walking trails included passing through what remains of a WWII fort. The fort made me think of both my granddaddys. The sun then came out as a I discovered the different bays. I did not swim although you can swim all year long here. I ended the day at a lorikeet feeding which was really entertaining as at one point the lorikeets were not only on my hands and arms but also on my head!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ok, ignorant moment, what is a lorikeet?